From:
Dean Esmay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 May 1997 13:44:47 -0400
>Whichever desk-bound idiot coined the term "hunter/gatherer" was
>obviously neither, or he wouldn't have got it bassackwards.

Well, as was discussed a few days ago, most pre-agricultural people get
somewhat more than half their daily calories from animal food sources.  Of
course insects and shellfish also count in that equation, so how you
classify these things is something of a matter of philosophy; are catching
bugs and rooting out shellfish "hunting" or "gathering?"  And what's
bass-ackwards, emphasizing gathering, when most get most of their calories
from animals, or emphasizing hunting, when a good bit of the animal foods
aren't always strictly hunted?

Or ultimately isn't this all meaningless?  "Hunter/Gatherer" is close
enough for me, but if you want to avoid this philosophical point you can
just say "pre-agricultural."  :-)

We've wandered into a great deal of philosophizing lately; perhaps we
should get back to discussing the practical aspects of actually eatiny?

 -=-=-

Once in a while you get shown the light/
 In the strangest of places if you look at it right   ---Robert Hunter

http://www.syndicomm.com/esmay