From:
Erik Fridén <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 13:19:29 +0200
Whereby I'm not implying that American education is necessarily any worse than European! I know it differs from state to state and can be no judge of that.

After joining the EU a lot of things are getting worse in Sweden food-wise also. If you inject saline solution into a bird for freezing-protection purposes, in the EU it is then considered a semi-product. Since you aren't forced to note the country of origin of the bird in itself (as you are here with "proper" meat) you can then mark the chicken/turkey from Brazil or Thailand as being produced in the Netherlands, Germany or Denmark (where it was basically just repackaged) and sell it at dumping-prices in Sweden. Most Swedes would never buy bird from overseas for fear of salmonella, but other northern European countries might be considered if the price is right: "Hey, they're kinda civilized too, aren't they!?" (sarcastic comment on Swedish smugness).

Besides, the Swedish government is not even allowed to make tests or stop the import anymore - "...and why should they? Don't you trust your fellow EU-countries?" This autumn one of the two major turkey-producers in Sweden will shut down, having been forced out of business by "efficiently produced" foreign birds. Sweden has been free of salmonella for over 40 years. Researchers say, it is now only a matter of time before we have a major epidemic... Too bad money always seems to be "blood-proof"!
Erik F.

Erik Fridén <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
The article also explains why American beer sucks, why your supermarket-meat is chockfull of hormones and why your vegetables are GMOd and "nuked". When you give foodproduction completely over to profit-thinking without "obliterating" the ill-informed by a proper educational system they will force "the good stuff" off the market by buying the cheapest foods (with acceptable taste), making healthy food - a human right! - a luxury. Anybody wonder why our governments and activists are fighting the WTO to keep the European market free from American beef?
Höstrusk och grå moln - köp en resa till solen på Yahoo! Resor