From:
Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 05:57:19 -0500
I went to the doctor yesterday for a complete physical.  Blood pressure
was good at 116/74.  Weight looked good.  He was impressed with my
overall health, although I haven't yet received info on the blood work.

But there was a problem, one that I was not previously aware of.  While
listening to my heart via stethoscope, the doctor detected arrhythmia
which a subsequent EKG confirmed.  Doc said it was "probably nothing"
but sent me down the hall to make an appointment with a cardiologist for
an "echo test" to be sure.  (I'll be having the test on Tuesday the
30th).

Woke up early this morning and did a search for "arrhythmia" in the
archives of this list and found some very interesting results.
Apparently, Betty Milner, Trish Tipton, Denise LaPage, William Schnell,
Todd Moody, Marianne Fuller, Theola Baker, Erik Hill, Rick and/or Linda
Strong, Paul Sand, and Frances Ross have all had at least SOME
experience with arrhythmia in the past as they've posted on the subject
here before.

Here's a digest of the posted causes of arrhythmia:

Dehydration

Drinking mineral-poor water

Mineral loss

Magnesium deficiency

Coconut oil (!)

Caffeine

Low sodium, calcium, magnesium, potassium

Stress

Low or zero carb

Lack of Omega 3

MSG

Aspartame

I've recently gone low carb for the first time ever.  Having had the
problem with thrush, the thinking was that the low carb would cause the
remaining candida to die off.

I have been supplementing with chelated magnesium and fish oil (although
not as much fish oil since my Carlson's supply ran out last week.  I've
been trying to remember to take my wife's Costco brand pills).

Dehydration could be an issue.

Stress is a HUGE issue in my life right now.

You may remember that I've just started greatly increasing my saturated
fat intake.  The source?  Almost exclusively coconut oil as I have no
other clean source of saturated fat right now.  It was William Schnell
who posted that coconut oil is "pro-arrhythmic."

I don't get much caffeine.  Maybe three of four cups of green tea a
week.  No coffee.

I had some sausages the night before last that I'm convinced were LOADED
with MSG and lots of salt.  And I had a diet soda with aspartame, which
I very rarely consume, on Sunday evening.

Oh, and I'll leave you with one last thought.  One of Theola's posts
said something to the effect that stress-caused magnesium deficiency can
cause arrhythmia.  Other symptoms of low magnesium?  "Fungal infections
due to suppressed immune system."  (That would cover my two main health
issues: candida and arrhythmia).

Comments and suggestions appreciated.

Jim