Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2006 21:31:56 -0500
Ds wrote:
> I have been throwing fresh flax seed into a blender and
> eating it in the morning with fruits or water. Does this
> deliver the proper nutrients in terms of omega 3 and 6?

Based on his data from analysis of wild meats and organs, Loren Cordain
recommends lowering your dietary omega 6/3 ratio to "less than about 3 to 1,
preferably closer to 2 to 1." Flaxseed oil contains a very low omega 6 to
omega 3 ratio of 0.24. However, Flaxseed oil contains alpha-linolenic acid,
a shorter chain omega-3 fatty acid than the healthier long chain omega-3
fatty acids EPA and DHA in fish or seal oil. The human digestive system only
converts about 15% of ALA to EPA and 5% to DHA.

Sources:

- The Paleolithic Diet and Its Modern Implications: An Interview with Loren
Cordain, PhD, by Robert Crayhon, MS,
http://www.mercola.com/article/carbohydrates/paleolithic_diet2.htm and
- The Paleo Diet by Loren Cordain, p. 127.
- The Benefits of Omega 3 Fatty Acids found In Seal Oil, as Opposed to Fish
and Flaxseed Oils., Dr. Cosmas Ho, M.D., C.C.F.P.,
http://www.omega3sealoil.com

> Philip <[log in to unmask]> wrote: One criticism made against
> seed oils like flaxseed oil is that they are "too
> manufactured." However, fish oil is also manufactured--and
> apparently fish oil is more processed than flaxseed oil. ...

Ginny, I think it was you who said that flaxseed oil is too manufactured,
but when I looked into it, the sources I found indicated that fish oil is
more manufactured than flaxseed oil. Could you explain please how flaxseed
oil is more manufactured, if it is?

Thanks,
Philip