From:
Marishka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 May 2002 15:58:32 -0500
Well, like any "real" food, beans have some attributes.  They're high in fiber and contain folate (folic acid) which helps reduce homocysteine levels in the blood, one cause of arterial aging.  They have a low glycemic index, too.  On the other hand, they not only contain lectins
but also enzyme inhibitors.  The nice thing about eating paleo is that we can easily get all the same good nutrients that beans contain such as iron, zinc, calcium, magnesium, potassium, and all the B vitamins including folate without the drawbacks.  And with all the fruits,
vegetables, nuts and seeds we eat, the paleo diet certainly isn't lacking in fiber, either.

L'shalom,

Marishka