From:
Marishka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2002 01:12:24 -0500
It probably depends on the individual.  I have tried to get into the
habit of eating breakfast many times since all the "experts" so often
insist on its importance but I finally gave up on that as I just feel
better when I don't eat breakfast.  And it sure didn't stop me from
losing weight--I have lost 36 1/2 pounds without eating breakfast.  I
never eat until noon or after.

Do you know about the Pitcairn Islanders?  Pitcairn, an island located
southeast of Tahiti, is where the mutineers of the Bounty established a
utopian commune in 1789.  Their descendents are extremely healthy,
vigorous and long-lived.  Doctors who have visited there say there isn't
much for a doctor to do on Pitcairn.  Old Pitcairners of over 70 are
said to scramble up rope ladders to the decks of ships like 20 year olds
do elsewhere.

They live on fish and the fruits, berries and vegetables that grow on
Pitcairn.  Most do not drink coffee or tea.  Instead, they drink
homemade fruit drinks like pineapple juice, wild strawberry juice,
orange juice, etc.  Milk and dairy products are non-existant (except for
butter which they import) because each time they tried importing cows to
raise, the cows kept falling off the cliffs!  So these folks essentially
follow a paleo diet.

Now here is the interesting thing.  They get up at sunrise, around 5:00
am, and do all kinds of heavy physical labor and activities all morning
and yet they do not eat any solid protein foods until midday.  They
start their day with a big mug of pure well water and then snack on
fresh fruits during the morning hours.

Paul Bragg, one of the nutrition and physical culture pioneers of the
last century, was an advocate of no breakfast or only fruit in the
mornings, too.  He always said, "You must earn your food."  Going
without breakfast didn't seem to hurt him as he lived in good health
into his nineties.

I think it's best to go with your body's own natural cycles and eat only
when you're truly hungry.

L'shalom,

Marishka