NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Susan Carmack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 13:36:26 -0700
Hi Mary,

>I am looking for some good calcium sources for my family, we are all dairy
free.
I am looking at the back of my Joy Of Cooking for Calcium content of
different foods:

Almonds          359 mg/cup
Apple                 10mg/per apple
Baking powder  160mg/per tsp!
Beet greens       164mg/cup
Blackberries        46mg/cup
Brussels Sprouts  85mg/cup
Brazil nuts          246mg/cup
Canteloupe          160mg/one
celery - 2               32mg
chicken breast        28mg
duck breast            53mg
grapefruit               113mg
halibut 3oz              53mg
(just a few examples)
It looks like if we just eat properly with whole foods, we will get enough
calcium without even trying!
Just about all real food has some calcium. Those that have none include
grits, gin, baking soda, lettuce, mayonnaise, oils, chili pepper, rum,
sauerkraut, vanilla extract and vodka.

All the best,
Susan