NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jeanine Callag <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Aug 1997 23:51:18 -0400

<<
 So, you are running a HUGE risk by choosing not to nurse (I won't even talk
 about the chemicals).  You are assuming the baby will ONLY have milk or
dairy
 allergy-- what if s/he had multiple allergies and you could not FIND a good
 formula or whatever?  I also think the increased immunity was very important
 . >>
Susan,
I know it's best to nurse in most cases, but like many have mentioned that
everything you eat could be affecting the baby.  With my 1st son who's now 3
no one ,me , or the doctor told me to lay off high allergen foods because of
my husband's and my bad airborne allergies.  I know during this pregnancy I
consumed lots of milk, enjoyed and craved Thai food (peanut), and anything
else. I nursed him until he was a year.  I drank lots of milk when I nursed
even though the ped. knew he was allergic to milk she didn't tell me to lay
off of it; after I tried formula she was aware of this.  I didn't know
drinking this effected him until I went to my allergist when he was a year.
 He's now allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, garlic and several antibiotics.
 If only I had known....

My 2nd son I really watched the dairy and all high allergy foods during
pregnancy and nursing.  I took a calcium sup., drank cal. o.j. and ate Tums.
 This, as I mentioned, made him very gassy and he had alot of ear infections
until I quit nursing.  He wasn't much of a nurser.  He was too active for it
at 5 months.  ( I started Isomil on him and he pretty much weaned himself.)
 Ok, I could of pumped, but I was too exhausted with him and a 2 yr old and
no family around for relief.  He appears better off then my 1st son.  No
eczema and able to tolerate a lot more foods.  I haven't tried any high
allergic foods on him.  I'll probably get him tested at 1 yr.  He's got a
grass allergy and cat allergy.  His Ige level is high so it's probable he'll
be like his brother.

I'll probably nurse the 3rd, it just seems like it really hasn't helped the
allergy problem.  I'm wondering if I went right to the Nutrim. or Aug. I
could avoid the other trials.
Thanks for your advice.