NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kite-a-holic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jan 1998 09:32:18 -0500
On Sat, 31 Jan 1998, Katherine Murray wrote:
>I am not worried about the cookies... they should be fine.  But the frosting!
>The kids (preschool) will be decorating their cookies with the icing.  So it
>can't be too thick or thin, and I really want it to be like the store-bought
>tubs of icing so all the kids will think David is cool.  Any other great
>frosting recipes out there?

You should be able to make frosting from just powdered sugar and
liquid...make sure the sugar doesn't have cornstarch in it, for anyone
with corn allergy...

>Also, one bowl needs to be pink or red and I do
>NOT want to use dye.. we have problems with that too.  Suggestions?  Beets or
>cranberry juice?  How is the flavor with that?

The colors of both are so intense, that you'd probably need only a few
drops of either's juice to color the frosting, I wouldn't use any water,
just the juice...you might want to try the juice leftover from defrosted
strawberries or raspberries, if no one has a problem with those fruits...
you might even try puree'ing strawberries or raspberries, and then add a
little powdered sugar, to make an icing...

Are there any flavored gelatin mixes with natural colorings?  If so, you
might want to try using one of those, just a little bit would do, to
color the sugar...

June

         "Heal the past; live the present; dream the future."
                                -unknown