NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Katherine Murray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Sep 1998 17:51:02 EDT
I have done some simple things that have really helped in our preschool.  Of
course I have written a detailed form describing my son's multiple allergies,
reactions, medications and phone numbers... and I have spoken with the nurse
and teachers individually about them.  I have also made a shoebox for David
that has special non-dairy treats in it.  I keep this in his classroom, so
when parents bring birthday treats, David knows his teacher will bring out his
SPECIAL box and he can have some chocolate or other type of treat.  He does
not feel left out this way.

This year I also did something a little different.  I wrote up a nice one page
sign that the school sent home with all the moms that is entitled, "Yummy
Treats and Food Allergies... It Can Be Done!"  Then I wrote who David is and
what allergies he has, and I say that I am very good at making non-dairy
cupcakes, cookies, candies etc., and that if they plan to bring something in
for their child's birthday, to please call me ahead of time or notify the
teacher.  Then I can make something similar to what the parents make and David
can have the same treat too!  I only make enough for him, and let the parents
bring in what they had planned to supply for the special day.  I have already
gotten two calls from parents who were more than happy to let me know about
their planned treats.  One even offered to make non-dairy/non-egg cookies if I
supplied the recipe!

Good luck,
Katherine