NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
janet rosenbaum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Sep 1998 11:05:19 -0400
> Mine are far from mild.  I've reacted badly to dairy in a hamburger bun.
> I've reacted mildly to a piece of buttered, grilled toast that was merely
> laying on my steak at a restaurant.

just to clarify, i have bad reactions when i've had only tiny amounts of
dairy after having other small amounts of dairy, but if i've eaten something
just once with a little dairy, i've not had bad reactions.  they're still
not debilitating, i just feel constantly nauseated and have diahrrea..

my roommate had reactions like you describe after getting the norwalk
virus (in a campus outbreak, due to contaminated salad bar --- about 25%
of the people who ate in the cafeteria got sick).  she suddenly became
allergic to dairy in a very sensitive way like you describe (e.g., a food
fried in butter had her stranded in the restaurant bathroom for a few
hours), but after avoiding dairy completely for a few years now, she can
eat cheese, etc. with lactaid.

she uses all sorts of antacids and diahrrea medication (such as immodium
a/d) and they lessen the effect, but don't prevent it.  i guess
experimenation is key.

janet