NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Paula Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 May 1997 17:14:22 -0400

<< I am wondering if one is allergic to the milk proteins, is it possible to
 eat butter and cream without getting a reaction or is there a risk of
 milk protein contamination in the butter and cream production, which
 would lead to a reaction?

People who have true "allergies" because their immune system does not accept
the proteins found in a food (even apples have small amounts of protein).
 The IGE immune system reacts to these proteins.  That is why the person who
reacts to non-dairy cheese is still having problems.  The casinate is a milk
protein.  We stay away from ALL milk proteins because a little bite of any of
these proteins will land my children in the hospital!!  You bet butter and
cream still have proteins in them, as go Ghee, casinate, etc.

Intollerance is when the digestive system can not correctly digest the milk.

There are tons of other catergories such as Oral Allergy Syndrome - a
reaction to raw fruits and vegetables, especially during pollen seasons.

I could go on and on because there are many different things I have read
about.  I think anyone still reading this email should realize is that we all
don't fall into one catergory for food allergies.  And different situations
seem to work for different people.  For example, some people with
 intollerances have told me they are allergic to wheat but can eat Spelt.  If
my son ate spelt flour he would get sick, because he has a immune or IGE
system type allergy to their similiar proteins.  It is rather scary to think
some of us are seeking advise on our allergies, when truely answers given by
other people are not in the same situation.