INTERLNG Archives

Discussiones in Interlingua

INTERLNG@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Stan Mulaik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
INTERLNG: Discussiones in Interlingua
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 1997 10:52:58 EST
From [log in to unmask] Wed Feb 19 13:56:28 1997
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 14:19:39 -0500
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject:  Re: Interlingua and St. Francis -Reply

Sender:       Latin and NeoLatin discussions

>I was just idly wondering what Interlingua is?  Is it like Esperanzo?

I think you meant "Esperanto".

No, Interlingua is not like Esperanto. While it was developed by the
International Auxiliary Language Association (for whom Helen Eaton
worked on one of its projects) and is an "auxiliary" language, it is an
attempt to establish a standardized form of "the international vocabulary"
of the European languages, with a simple grammar. The standardization
was based on the idea of the "prototype". When a word with similar form
and essentially the same meaning occurred in three "source languages"
(English, French, Italian, Spanish/Portugese [treated as a unit]), that word
was included in the international vocabulary.  Sometimes German and
Russian were also searched when three languages did not produce the
common form among the original group of source languages.  The
resulting form was then standardized on the prototype, i.e. the nearest
common ancestor from which the variant forms deviate according to
their linguistic characteristics.  The "ancestor" can be simply theoretical,
e.g. words constructed out of the neo-Latin. So, Interlingua turns out to
be strongly Latin in its features, but here the affinity is with the popular
Latin (vulgar Latin) from which the Romance languages developed.

Interlingua has been used in summaries of articles in scientific journals
and of papers cited in programs for International Conferences.
It has been used to teach etymology to adolescents by giving them a
simple language based on many of the prototypes of their own language.

It is used by some people to communicate with speakers of Romance
languages.

More information is available at Interlingua's web site:

http://www.naz.com/personal/interlng

Stanley Mulaik

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
I must tell you. I know italian and I've never before this thread on this list
encountered interlingua. I am very impressed, I guess with myself, how
well I understand via my italian and the smattering of latin I remember. I
must admit that I could not write or speak it but I certainly feel as
comfortable reading it as I do both english and italian. I would like to learn
it. Can you recommend books? But more importantly where to buy them!
That's always the bigger problem when a book is suggested, where the
h--l do ya find it?
Thank you very, very much for the education, not to mention the good
feeling.
Robert B. Colasacco

Stan Mulaik