GSTALT-L Archives

An ICORS List

GSTALT-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Philippson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
An ICORS List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 2024 11:18:17 +0000
Phil, let me explain why I am furiously angry with you.

I have had memory loss since I was 30 (a result of chemotherapy, which you
might also experience) and it has got worse as I got older.  I forget names
and dates.

Would you call me incompetent to do my work?  Are you not worth paying
attention to because you are also old and sick?  Should Richard Kitzler,
Erv Polster, Philip Lichtenberg, Bob Resnick etc. have stepped down as
leaders?  This is even more true of a President, especially when surrounded
by aides who can act as an external memory.  But these days, picking on a
prejudice around age or race or gender or sexuality and turning it into a
political weapon is a strategy, which Trump has strongly supported by his
discriminatory nicknames for people.

How many times must I say publicly 'Oh that sick Phil Brownell who thinks
he can play guitar, and is probably a paedophile' before it impacts on how
people see you?

And cherry-picking: the most serious thing the special counsel said about
the difference between Biden and Trump was not the original taking of the
documents, but that Trump then lied continuously about them, obstructed
investigation, and that he quoted them for his aggrandisement in ways that
could endanger people in the USA.

I would rather an old leader with mild memory impairment and grace than a
vicious vengeful narcissist who still believes he won an election.  I do
think though that there is something about the American system that means
that younger people outside the main narratives are sidelined because
voters have been taught politics as a game show with the same older
contestants, and won't vote for the younger people (or the young people
have to pretend to be like the older people to have a chance).

Peter

--
Peter (Philippson)

Gstalt-L is an independent eCommunity of people interested in gestalt therapy theory and its various applications. Its public archives can be found at http://listserv.icors.org/scripts/wa-ICORS.exe?A0=GSTALT-L, and subscriptions can be managed by clicking on "Subscriber's Corner," which is found at the archives.