ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sharon Hooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Aug 2007 17:15:46 -0600
Hi all!

I got this from another list and just want to pass it on.

Sharon

We've received a request to [pass the following information on.  Perhaps
some of you would like to participate.
  Help Web accessibility
Hi All,
I'd like to ask for your help in finding people with disabilities to
participate in a large study we are conducting to support the new Web
accessibility standard - the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines,  version
2.  Here is some information about it, if you or anyone you  know who might
be interested, I would be very grateful if you could pass the message on.
Study to support new Web Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG 2.0)
As some of you may know, there are a set of guidelines to help web
developers produce web sites that are accessible to people with
disabilities, the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines.  These are currently
being revised and my university (the University of York in
England) is helping to conduct a study of the draft of the new version.
We need to check the many recommendations of the new guidelines (there are
some hundreds of them), so we need many people with  different disabilities
to try out little bits of code with different combinations of web browsers,
screen readers, assistive technologies etc.
 Participants don't have to know anything about web accessibility, or be
particularly technical to participate, just answer simple questions about
very simple web pages.  And we will reimburse people for their time!
The material is divided up into blocks of 20 simple (I hope!) web pages and
questions, and for each block completed you get an Amazon  gift voucher for
US $15.00 (or local equivalent).  And people are welcome to do as many
blocks as you like.
We are particularly looking for people who are visually disabled (who might
use screen readers, screen magnification programs, or enlarge the material
on a webpage using the options in their browser or in the operating system),
people who are Deaf or hard of hearing, people with dyslexic, and  people
with physical disabilities, but all disabilities are needed.
You do need to register, but that is simply to find out what  combination of
operating system, browser, screen reader, other devices etc you use, so you
can be presented with appropriate questions and we can reimburse you with
the appropriate number of gift vouchers. All information you provide is
absolutely confidential and anonymous.
You can register by going to:
http://bentoweb.org/amfortas/register.html
You then do the questions by going to:
http://bentoweb.org/amfortas/sign-in.html
This is a small and easy way to have a say in improving the accessibility of
the web in the future!
If you have any questions or comments, please ask them either on list  or
off list.
 Many thanks for your help.
 Joe E. Wheaton, Ph.D.
A334 PAES Bldg.
 305 W. 17th Ave.
 Columbus, OH 43210
 614-292-8313 (voice)
 614-292-4255 (FAX)
http://education.osu.edu/jwheaton/
Dr. Fred R. McFarlane
 Department of Administration, Rehabilitation & Postsecondary Education  San
Diego State University  3590 Camino Del Rio North  San Diego, CA  92108
 office: (619)-594-4220
 fax:    (619)-594-4208
 e-mail:
website: