ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Reeva Parry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Dec 2007 10:46:06 -0600
The Devil's Henchmen

It was almost time for the Jewish Festival of Unleavened
Bread, called the Passover. The leading priests and teachers
of the law were trying to find a quiet way to kill Jesus.
They were afraid of what the people would do to them. One of
Jesus' twelve apostles was named Judas Iscariot. Satan (the
devil) went into Judas and made him do a bad thing. Judas
went and talked with the leading priests and some of the
soldiers who guarded the temple. Judas talked to them about a
way to give Jesus to them. The priests were very happy about
this. They promised to give Judas money {if he would give
Jesus to them}. Judas agreed. Then Judas waited for the best
time to give Jesus to them. Judas wanted to do it when there
were no people around to see him do it.--Luke 22:1-6 (ERV).

KEY THOUGHT:

I cannot help feeling unbelievably sad when I read this passage. Men
who are called by God to intercede for his people and to expertly
interpret the Scriptures for his people are plotting the worst of all
things--the murder of the Son of God. Judas, one of Jesus' 12
apostles, comes up with a plot to betray the Lord to the religious
leaders. The Temple guard is in on the murderous scheming. Satan, of
course, is behind it all. I wish that we could say these things don't
happen today. Unfortunately, when God's leaders get caught up in
self-interest and religious politics, Satan steps in and leads them
astray and horrible things happen. Pray that God will protect his
leaders from the devious ways of the evil one who seeks to rip apart
godly leaders and destroy the work of the Kingdom.

TODAY'S PRAYER:

Father, please intervene directly in the lives of our church leaders
and cast out any influence of Satan, all self-seeking and party spirit,
and every hint of life-destroying political scheming. In Jesus' Name I
pray. Amen.