ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 May 2008 21:02:50 -0600
Karen,

It rubs my fur wrong, too, when people take the Lord's name in vain.  Be it
in movies, TV shows, or even in books or print, as it were.  However, I find
it much less offensive now that I did even six years ago which seems to be a
direct result of places I have been healed in my feelings and thoughts, the
lies that no longer exist in my identity with Christ, and the security I
experience with Jesus Himself.  Furthermore, many years ago, I began to
carefully study the true meaning of First John 1:9 which we all likely know
by memory.  The Holy Spirit pointed something out to me one day concern this
verse and as I studied it for some time, I finally realized what it was all
about and the meaning it has for Christians relating to sin.  Swearing, of
course, is sin but a different type of sin for the lost than a Christian who
is born again.  Maybe I'll type a little about first John 1:9 to explain
what I believe but my hands are getting too weak to do much more typing
tonight.  However, I understand your feelings about still being unable to
eradicate swearing in your own life at times as a Christian.  Remind me to
tell you something I did once relating to this very topic that horrified me
and made me think I would maybe even go to hell for what I said.  It is
funny because Jesus set me up for it to happen to teach me something very
spiritually valuable.  Plus, it reminded me of the sense of humor Jesus
truly has.  You might very well discover, once you hear what I have to say
and the things I point out about God's sense of humor, that swearing goes
away due to it being spiritually minimized in your life as a Christian.  It
is the value we place on certain sins that causes us instability in our walk
with the Lord.  Swearing isn't any different to God than adultery, abortion,
murder, rape, or anything else.  Yes, that is a very difficult theological
pill to get down.  I choke on it every time I say it, for that matter, but
God isn't variable.  If He were, none of us would end up in Heaven.  If we
can get to the place that we can see sin, as Christians, the way He views
it, swearing can disappear like a puff of smoke.  It is the value, or
severity of sinfulness we put on it, that causes us shame, guilt, grief, and
fear.  If such things as I just mentioned are eliminated by healing and
understanding of God's nature and the identity of Christ we can enjoy, a lot
of things aren't important any more and they go away and God is magnified
within us.

Phil.