EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Nissen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 10:54:54 GMT
Hello Norm,

It's interesting that students with LD are the largest disability
population on campus.  That suggests a definition of LD where reading
ability is not commensurate with IQ?  Do you include dyslexia in
LD?  Anyway the large numbers could be result of bad practice
in the teaching of reading, see Scientific American for March, pp 70-77,
"How Should Reading Be Taught".

The adult illiteracy rate in the US is about as high as it is here in
the UK, at around 20%.  Could this be mainly due to poor teaching?

Cheers,

John
--

--
Access the word, access the world! -- Try our WordAloud software!!

John Nissen, Cloudworld Ltd., Chiswick, London
Tel:   +44 (0) 845 458 3944 (local rate in the UK)
Fax:   +44 (0) 20 8742 8715
Web:   http://www.cloudworld.co.uk