EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Nissen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 29 Nov 2002 09:54:59 GMT
Hello Pranil and others,

You may criticise this idea for being long winded, but it actually
involves fewer words than speaking the brackets.  For example
the two words "Sum" and "Mus" replace four words: "left bracket"
and "right bracket".

And if one had to be able to distinguish different types of bracket,
as was proposed on this list, we might be replacing six words:
"left round bracket" and "right round bracket".

So my proposal is economical on words.

It is also economical to implement.  You could easily modify a text
reader or screen reader to read maths like this.  Alternatively one
could use a preprocessor to convert brackets and maths symbols into words,
which would be spoken directly by an existing synthesiser as normal English.
BTW, preprocessing is a technique used for obtaining better speech
from ordinary text.

If there is enough interest in this idea, we ought to get a full
specification agreed and a preprocessor written.  We also need to
define an XML tag to delineate mathematics notation within an HTML
document.  Could we use <maths> .. </maths> for example?

Cheers from Chiswick,

John
--

--
Access the word, access the world! -- Try our WordAloud software!!

John Nissen, Cloudworld Ltd., Chiswick, London
Tel:   +44 (0) 845 458 3944 (local rate in the UK)
Fax:   +44 (0) 20 8742 8715
Web:   http://www.cloudworld.co.uk