EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jim Rebman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 14:43:18 -0700
Dennis,

The issue of individual users being tied to specialized hardware is
probably not something they (or anybody) will be able to deal with.  I
think the best we can hope for in this regard is some kind of prompt or
warning that the user will not be able to do certain tasks, or  possibly,
anything on an incorrectly configured machine.  Software and drivers and
such shouldn't be too much of a problem.

What I really am beginning to think is that this is Microsoft's latest
attempt to reclaim territory lost to Java and Sun years ago.  Sun has
proposed similar scenarios for workstation-independent access based on such
things as smart cards that will contain a user's profile and preferences.
At this point I would trust that there is a greater amount of core-level
accessibility support being built into the Sun products.

Just a hunch, but based on empirical data<smile>.

I scanned many of the .net documents and did not once see any mention of
access, disabilities, or MSAA -- could this be a sign?

-- Jim

James A. Rebman

Cognitive Levers Project
Center for Life-Long Learning and Design (L3D)
University of Colorado, Boulder

"In times of change, the learners will inherit the earth, while the learned
will find themselves beautifully equipped for a world that no longer exists."
- Eric Hoffer