CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Paul King <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 19 May 1997 12:33:33 +0000
> On Sun, 18 May 1997, Don Brayton wrote:
>
> ><snip>  I have no problem with someone else having wealth as long
> > as they can not use it either to coerce me or to protect themselves from
> > retribution for fraud. This latter is, for me, the premier issue
> > surpassing all other socioeconomic and political considerations in
> > importance.
> >

> So the most importance principle in life is "don't commit fraud" and justice
> is really just a matter having enforceable laws against fraud?

I think that is an unfair interpretation. His statement was more
complex than that. He also said that wealth should not be used to
force others to do something they don't want. So, If I buy a building
I should not have the right to kick the tenants out on to the street.
Or if I buy a coropration I should not have the right to fire
everybody and move to Mexico. If human lives are affected by
financial transactions, their rights should be respected above and
beyond the rights of "ownership." I think the part about fraud is
really a minor point. In other words, the fact that I have wealth
should not mean that I have the infinite power to arbitrarily do
anything I want just because I feel like it. The poor have rights
also.
Paul King              1660-309 Bloor St. E., Mississauga ON L4X 1R9
Tel: (905) 629-2138                     Email:  pking at idirect.com
Come visit my web page at: http://cgi.idirect.com/index///pking.html
"Show no favouritism to  your own discredit;  Let no one  intimidate
you  to  your  own  downfall."  ---  Sirach  4:22,  NAB  translation