CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tresy Kilbourne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 1997 15:24:09 -0700
You, Paul King, wrote:

>His statement was more
>complex than that. He also said that wealth should not be used to
>force others to do something they don't want. So, If I buy a building
>I should not have the right to kick the tenants out on to the street.
>Or if I buy a coropration I should not have the right to fire
>everybody and move to Mexico. If human lives are affected by
>financial transactions, their rights should be respected above and
>beyond the rights of "ownership."
From his earlier remarks I very much doubt that's what he meant
myself--though your interpretation casts a sharp light on the knotty
issues masked by Mr. Brayton's oversimple libertarian ideas.

_________
Tresy Kilbourne, Seattle WA
"People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and
diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public,
or in some contrivance to raise prices."  --Adam Smith