CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 23:25:17 -0400
>> They didn't bomb Iraq(and continue to do so)?  They didn't bomb East Timor?
>They *are* bombing Chechnya.  You have not complained about it.  You
only complain about actions of the US.

HELLO?!  They *are* bombing Iraq.  Not everyday but they haven’t stop since
“Desert Fox”.  Because, I haven’t come out against it(can’t remember saying
anything here to that affect) and this is a US action, it seems you entire
theory is out the window(unless it is that Milutin only cares about
Yugoslavians, excluding all ethnic-Albanians).

>I'm sure you have your reasons, but I doubt that morality is among them.

Yes, my reasons for not saying something is not morality.  If it were, then
I would write something here every second to make up for the 35,000 children
who die everyday.

>Even now, you still have not condemned the bombing of Chechnya.

You need me to say it?  Jess, why not ask Franks, Dan, DDebar, Beryl, or
William, etc, etc.
Okay, I’ll say it, (because this is what I think) “Bombing is amoral”.  Now,
if one of those mentioned about don’t say something to similar, you can
assume they have that swiss cheese problem.  Of course, I won't assume that,
but you can.

>You, like other activists, protest when it suits you to protest.

Well, doesn’t everyone?

>You, like other activists, have condemned the US (and rightly so) for using
a double standard.

Well, there is a double standard if they say their reasons are moral.  There
is a double standard if the media says they are seeking the truth.  The
truth, in both cases, is that they are doing it in self-interest and are
seeking profit.  If they admitted that, then there would be NO double standard.

>You, like other activists, use the *same* double standard.

Huh?

>You protest when it suits you to protest, not when protest is needed or
desreved.

I must reiterate, Huh?

>Why don't you just admit it?

I now admit you don’t know what you're talking about.

>Why don't you just admit that you are no better than the people in the US
government.

I admit that.  I would not do better then those in the US government.  The
problem isn’t the people, but the institution!!!!!(once again, the
importance of Anarchism is stated)

>You are no better than Bill Clinton.  You are no better than Tony Blair.
You are no better than John Howard.  You are no better than 3J Chretien.

I already know that!  ANARCHISM!

>> I major concern is what can I affect.  I can't tell the Russian people to
stop their government from bombing until I get my own government to.
>Of course you can.  That's just a cop out.  A typical, fair weather
activist copout.  Your government isn't bombing at the moment.

No, it’s having an effect where you can and can’t.

>Are you going to withhold your taxes and go to jail?

I didn’t do that during the YU war.

>If not, then your statement is a cynical lie, because you are giving them
the funding they need.

Russians are using Russian made jets and bombs, which are funded by Russians
and powerful foreign corporations.

>> And I don't think I need to state here the immorality of bombing and
warfare. This is, if you remember, a Chomsky list.
>That's right.  You don't.  But you did.  And you did, only when it suited
your purpose, the same double standard used by the governments you complain
about.

In theory, it is not the same double standard.  But your conclusion is still
wrong.

>Your complaints are based more on that difference in feeling than on reason.

What just a minute, did Martin just make a good point?  Yes, I think he did,
Bravo Martin! (I’m not being sarcastic here)

I feel more guilt when I fund the bombing then when I don’t.  But, is that
unreasonable?

>Chechnya doesn't matter to you.  Yugoslavia does.

Yugoslavia might matter more to me then Chechnya as a country, for the
simple reason that my roots and birthplace lie within that country.
The civilians in Yugoslavia matter as much as the civilians in Chechnya and
else where throughout the world.
Murder of any of them is the same.  Who bares responsibility may be
different though.

>East Timor doesn't matter to NATO.  Yugoslavia does.  Everybody has these
double standards and you are no different.

Actually, there is no double standard in NATO.  It just appears to be.

>> When it comes to suffering, comparing to the rest of the world,
Chechnyans(sp?) are on the lower end.
>You have to learn not to lead with your chin.  You just proved everything I
have said.

My statement is not true?

Milutin

--
While arms warehouses fill as quick as tha cells
Rally round tha family, pockets full of shells