CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 23:25:21 -0400
>I have the same concern for Chechens that I do for everyone else who is
being bombed.  I haven't maked anything.  I haven't protested the bombing of
Chechenya.  I didn't protest the bombing of Yugoslavia either.  I disagree
with Noam chomsky on this point.  I say protesting is a waste of time.  I
say protesting validates the system that gerates the situations in which
bombing is used.

Are you ready for this Martin?  Hold on tight!

"There is substantial evidence that the fear of domestic disruption has
inhibited murderous plans. One documented case concerns Vietnam.  The Joint
Chiefs of Staff recognized the need that 'sufficient forces would still be
available for civil disorder control.' if they sent troops to Vietnam after
the Tet Offensive, and Pentagon officials feared that escalation might lead
to massive civil disobedience, in view of the large-scale popular opposition
to the war, running  the risk of 'provoking a domestic crisis of
unprecented proportions.'  A review of the internal documents released in
the Pentagon Papers shows that considerations of cost were the sole factor
inhibiting planners, a fact that should be noted by citizens concerned to
restrain the violence of the state.  In such cases as these, and many
others, popular demonstrations and civil disobedience may, under appropriate
circumstances, encourage others to undertake a broader range of conventional
action by extending the range of the thinkable, and where there is real
popular understanding of the legitimacy of direct action to confront
institutional violence, may serve as a catalyst to constructive organization
and action that will pave the way to more fundamental change." -- Noam Chomsky

Hmmm......

Better luck next time?

Milutin

--
While arms warehouses fill as quick as tha cells
Rally round tha family, pockets full of shells