CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sueko Sakai <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 12:12:27 -1000
john dewey is saying:  we need to recover philosophy, and that when
philosophy becomes the method to deal with the problems of our
social-economic existence, it recovers itself.

carl schmitt is saying:  the political is the beginning of objective
discussion, namely, inquiry into the political was an inquiry into the
order of human things.  he is also saying:  the political defines what it
is to be a human being in this modern world of ours.

chomsky puts it this way:  we need to sports talk politics.  we must also
remember that he's firm on common sense.  i've finally come to see that
common sense is about the little things in life.  for example, human
dignity with respects to war rape as posted in my "RAPE" post today.  that
is, punishing the men isn't the answer.  in other words, common sense is
wisdom, and wisdom would say, "restorative justice is the human
answer/solution."

dewey is also saying:  this method is cultivated by the
philosopher.  chomsky, yes?  he certainly does a lot of objective inquiry
into the order of human things.  wrought in my mind is his human condition
description of an incident in our war in so. america, namely, when the
rebels returned to their families they found them all sitting at the dinner
table, all at their usual sitting space, with big smiles on their
faces.  the only problem was that their bodies were missing and never
found.

i'm also looking at :

1.  socrates' notion of the soul sprouting wings, as the result of
contemplating on higher principles and aspiring to the unknown.

2.  jesus' born of the spirit is spirit and pick/take up your cross.

3.  schmitt's notion of political theology, which is nothing more than, i
believe, #2.

4.  albert einstein's:  ends are conceived by personalities with lofty
ethical ideals and--if these ends are not stillborn, but vital and
vigorous--are adopted and carried forward by those many human beings who,
half unconsciously, determine the slow evolution of society.

isn't this chomsky's no one person can do it alone?  i see aspects of #1-3
in einstein's personalities, which i sense is chomsky political beings
sports talking politics, challenging the status-quo politics of the powers
that be.

is any of this making sense to anyone?

saka'i