CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tresy Kilbourne <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Discussions on the writings and lectures of Noam Chomsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 May 1997 08:12:01 -0700
You, Howard Olson, wrote:

>Hobbes' homily is little more
>than a transparently statist sermon with no scientific basis.
Oh really? Then let's turn to concrete examples. Since you didn't take
the anarchism bone I offered you, you make it easy to cite them. As far
as anarchy is concerned, how about Rwanda, hmmm? Albania? Zaire, any day
now? Etc., etc. It's all very well and good to wave a book about as the
answer to all of society's problems, and to drop eptithets like "statist"
to describe any position you don't like, but sooner or later you are
going to have to persuade people whose experience is different from yours
if you hope for your program to make any headway. Is there any sustained
real-world example of anarchy producing anything like a just society, as
opposed to a nightmare of predatory violence described by that "homilist"
Hobbes (and many others)?

_________
Tresy Kilbourne, Seattle WA
"We hear about constitutional rights, free speech and the free press.
Every time I hear those words I say to myself, 'That man is a Red, that
man is a Communist.'  You never heard a real American talk in that
manner." -- Frank Hague (1876-1956), U.S. politician.