CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Discussions on the writings and lectures of Noam Chomsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 May 1997 16:30:30 -0400
----------
> From: Harry Veeder <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: The State
> Date: Friday, May 02, 1997 2:44 PM
>
> On Fri, 2 May 1997, DDeBar wrote:
>
> > I don't think that the State was, or is, responsible for the anarchy of
> > production in a free-market capiitalism, yet, such anarchy does, and
will,
> > always accompany such economies.
> >
> There is only "anarchy" with in a small domain: free market capitalism.
> The existing world wide network of banks is designed to sastify the
> requirements of captilasm. This is not a conspiracy, IT IS JUST A
> POLITICAL FACT.
>
> True (economic)anarchy will only happen when different banking systems
are
> allowed to thrive and coexist. This will require a democratic rather than
an
> autocratic approach to banking.
>
> Democratically yours
>
> Harry

A capitalist economy is RIFE with anarchy. Duplication, redundancy,
starvation and waste, unemployment and underemployment, huge disparities of
wealth and poverty, crises of over- and under-production, irrationality in
resource allocation, etc., etc., i.e., economic anarchy. All of these
problems are attributable to the fantasy that subordinating the good of the
vast majority of humanity to the "laws" of the market will produce a just
outcome. This is true for the minority who benefit from this arrangement,
but for the majority of human beings, it is a criminal theft of their right
and ability to survive and grow to their potential. This fact, i.e., the
fact of the economic oppression of the majority by the minority, regardless
of whatever philosophical rationale is applied, only results in a great
deal of social and political unrest, "crime", war, revolution, etc.,, or
socio-political anarchy. The role of the State in the present is to attempt
to mitigate these effects in order to protect the position and property of
the economic elite, and to render ineffective any attempt to upset the
status quo.

Don DeBar