CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 5 Sep 1998 08:21:39 -0400
Press Release

Contact: Marc Jacobs 682-0488      WESPAC
               Michele Riddell 255-5482  SAFE Legacy

Nobel Peace Prize Winner Helen Caldicott M.D. extends a personal invitation
to you on September 24, 1998, at 7 P.M.  at the First Presbyterian Church
in Ossining (34 South Highland Avenue - Rte.9).  She will present expert
information on the subtle and catastrophic risks associated with the Hudson
Valley's Indian Point nuclear reactors.

Local, state and federal legislators are being invited to attend, as well
as concerned citizens.

The members of our coalition, Alliance for a Nuclear Free New York,  have
met with New
York State and federal government officials, including Lynette Stark,
Assistant to the Governor; Dr. Karim Rimawi, Director of the New York State
Department of Health's Bureau of Radiation Protection, Congressman Maurice
Hinchey, and the New York Power Authority.

Issues discussed include the distribution of potassium iodide in case of a
major radioactive emission (as has been done in Tennessee and Alabama), the
economic liability of nuclear power, and the implications of shutting down
Indian Point.

A resolution signed by a large and growing number of organizations
indicating interest in and support for closing Indian Point has been sent
to Gov. Pataki.  The Nuclear Regulatory Commission has said that there is a
50% chance of a nuclear disaster in the next few years.  We have the lesson
of Chernobyl, and Three Mile Island in our recent history. If we
act in a timely manner we will not need to learn that lesson twice.

This major health and safety issue affects all people in the greater
metropolitan area and beyond, today and for years to come.  I  am looking
forward to your response to our invitation to this important event.  Please
call me at (914) 682-0488 in order to RSVP and to receive a copy of
directions to the meeting.

DDeBar