CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Harry Veeder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 May 1997 22:43:39 -0400
Carl Macki,

I said to you,

> However, when an individual uses their
> mini-bank standing to issue loans (money) to, say, a clothing business in
> return for clothing, the same loans would obviously have to be rejected
> by a standard bank or finance company because the money would not meet
> the criteria of having been previously "earned" in *some* way by the
> individual (eg. through business or on the stockexchange)

What I said is parlty wrong and misleading.

I'll admit my proposal is in need of much refinement. Products and services
could be selected and labled as exceptions to free money purchases
(mini-bank loans),requiring purchasing money that had been "earned"
somehow. The selection of products could be achieved democratically, and
vary from region to region, while certain products would be exempt from
such designation. The consumer would have to demonstrate proof of "earned
money"...traditional coin and paper money could be used to validate its
origin. The cost of some products and services might have two components
which would be covered by "free" money
and "earned" money.

The important thing is to determine a set of products and services by
judicial and legislative means, which allow for a persons social and
material well being and liberty, but whose costs would be covered
completely by the individual through his standing as a "mini-banker".
This system of power is very unlike like that of the welfare state which
has the unpalatable power to "redistribute" income by means of "socially
progressive taxation policies". Under such a democratic economic system,
money would become a true tool of freedom, rather then remain
a desguised tool of systematic dominance and oppression.

Harry Veeder