From:
Roger Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roger Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 2008 10:29:09 -0700

Many of the vitamin and mineral supplements make a big point that they meet
100% of the "Daily Value", which has gone by various names over the years
such as MDR (Minimum Daily Requirement).  The definition of this is the
minimum amount required to avoid overt symptoms of deficiency where all
nutrients are in appropriate balance, no stress is placed on the organism,
and bioavailability of the supplement is excellent.

This is not a definition of optimum intake.

In our case I would add a concern about being able to absorb the nutrient.

Many of the supplements in the lists that have appeared here in the past
year have been aimed more at an optimum instead of a minimum.

I am fortunate that I had a long career as an animal nutritionist working at
optimizing nutrition for various species, and so I decided I should practice
what I preached.  I felt a difference when I changed from a minimum daily
value pill to one aimed more at an optimum level of nutrients.

Roger Weiss