Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 09:27:50 -0800

I posted about this article and how this mother has divided her kitchen
into GF and non-GF and prepares both  GF and non-GF foods for every meal.
 I contrasted this with the way I manage my kitchen, which is, for the
most part GF.  I received a variety of interesting comments as well as
some very good tips.
------------
        the day I found I was gluten-intolerant the whole kitchen went
gluten-free even for guests and visiting grand-kids.  What difference
does it make at the end of the day?  Most of the time they don't realize
they are eating healthy, non-gluten foods.
        When my kids were growing up, before I was diagnosed,  the family ate
what I cooked, and there was no choice.  I have never catered to fussy
eaters.  A doctor friend of mine said "Serve dinner, and if they don't
eat it they are not hungry ... they will catch up at the next meal."
        I grew up in the UK and it amazes me that American Mom's will cook
different dishes for different kids ... who has the time or patience for
that.  Same with gluten-free, in my kitchen, and they all look the better
for it.
        Regards, Valerie, Yelm
-------------
        My husband (not celiac) is disabled.  He cannot get in the car to drive
himself to fulfill his "wheat" cravings, nor can he cook for himself.
When I started on the diet, about 2 years ago, I felt so guilty and tried
to cook for us both.  After some time, I've gotten to be a much better
cook with GF, and he has become much more aware of how dangerous this
disease is -- especially with some other things going on in my family.
These two trends have made life much better in my kitchen.
        Now, my only real concessions are making him toast in the morning (I
don't touch that toaster with a 10-foot pole for my own bread!), and
having single-serving breakfasts, lunches, etc., in the freezer that
contain wheat.  I'll nuke or cook these in the oven for him.  He also has
a box of two of cookies and/or crackers in the house that he can access
-- and tries to be very careful about crumbs. Oh -- and I'll put croutons
on his salad (and quickly wash my hands!).
        But that's the sum-total of what I do now.  It's so much better for me,
I have to say. -Suzanne
--------------
...The 'highlight' of the article is that 97 percent of all celiacs are
UNDIAGNOSED.
--------------
Ha. I agree. No one has ever complained about my GF cakes, cookies and
other goodies. If in fact they know they are GF. Maybe she needs better
recipes. Besides, there are enough health risks associated with wheat for
NON celiacs that it just doesn't make sense to keep using it. The other
grains work great.
        I do have my kids take their own cake to parties. At one party, my
daughter brought a whole cake -- a german chocolate cake with
coconut-pecan frosting. Her cake got devoured, the "real" cake did not.
-- Heidi
--------------
Atta girl valerie...  I am the only one with CD in the house, but then
there is only my wife with me. I was nearly retired when I was diagnosed.
Anyway when we cook, with a couple of exceptions, like pasta everything
is done my way. It is certainly easier and I think we both have become
accustomed to and enjoy the GF tastes. John In Newport News, VA
--------------
I agree that the woman in the story made it all sound daunting! I
forwarded the article to friend whose son may have celiac, because I
think it does a good job of explaining the disease, but I worried because
I think she's
avoided having him tested out fear that she won't be able to handle the
consequences of a positive diagnosis (she has two other kids and keeps
Kosher). So I had to warn her that you don't have to do things that way.
        We do not keep a GF-only kitchen. Nor do we set aside special dishware,
cookware cabinets, etc. for GF stuff. Maybe it's because my kids are
older (9 and 13) and pretty responsible about these things, but we've
never had a problem. We do keep separate containers of peanut butter,
butter, jelly, cream cheese and other "spreadables" to avoid
x-contamination, but that's about it. Anyway, my point is that it's just
not that big a deal here.
        Everyone knows how important it is to be careful ... No one feels
deprived or put upon -- because there's plenty of (good, healthy) stuff
in the house that everyone can eat.   Jaki in CT
---------------
My husband was diagnosed with celiac disease last March and we've been
working out food ever since. I have found that keeping loose flour in the
kitchen makes me very nervous as it flies all over when you use it. For
dredging fried things and thickening sauces ... I find that gluten-free
products work just as well so very quickly stopped fussing with making
two separate versions. I've cooked many a company meal this way and the
guests don't even seem to notice.
        Condiments have also been really easy, the main change being the
substitution of gluten-free tamari for regular soy sauce.
        I keep regular bread on hand for the rest of the family, but we traded
in our toaster for a toaster oven, as it's easier to make sure you're not
contaminating the gluten-free toast with crumbs from regular bread.
Everyone
in the house has his/her favorite cereals and crackers, and we just use
those according to preference, taking care not to leave gluten crumbs
around to contaminate my husband's food.
        My husband has never been much for eating gooey pastry desserts.
Initially I tried to serve gluten-free desserts when company came, but he
didn't eat those either, so now I just get regular desserts, and he's
perfectly happy with his little dish of vanilla ice cream. He has always
had very plain, restricted tastes in food so, except for missing pizza
something fierce, he hasn't had much trouble adapting to the diet.
        Judging from my own experience and what I've read on the listserv, it
seems as though each household must work out its own accommodation,
depending on the habits and preferences of its members. There's no one
"right" way to do it.  Nancy Metcalf
I had the same thoughts reading that article, but we need all the press
we can get.I have been disstressed at CSA/USA conferences when
speakers(non celiac) said a GF kitchen was not neccessary. Our kids need
to adjust to a gluten filled world. My belief is we esspecially children
need a SAFE place to eat. I have met lots of parents who chose not to be
tested because they don't want to deal with a GF lifestyle. I always
encourage families to maintaine  a GF household for the reason above and
to support their kids emotionally. Debbie

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!