From:
Kelli Wages <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 23:09:30 -0500

Hi all!

I called my allergist today, asking if I could have a specific
gluten/wheat test.  I had been tested in March for each food group.  My
results game back being allergic to buckwheat, oats, barley, beef, and
borderline white potato and carrot.  I did not know at the time he
tested me for gluten.  When I called today, the receptionist informed me
she asked the doctor and he said I was "slightly" sensitive to gluten
and wheat, but not enough to "substantiate."  I told her I wanted to
take my gluten free purchases out on my taxes and she said they could
not do that because the results were not conclusive enough for him to
write a letter stating I had CD and that I need to be on a GF diet
forever.  If I'm only "slightly" allergic to gluten, then that must mean
I have full-blown CD and it just did not show positive enough on my
blood test.  The receptionist said that in testing, I didn't have a big
enough reaction to it to count as being allergic.

This brings me to my next question.  Can I have my primary care
physician write a letter stating I have CD for my taxes?  How deep does
the IRS look into GF deductions?  I have read on Celiac.com that all
that is needed is a letter from your doctor, however, medical
documentation may be needed.  My primary care doctor has my allergy
results, would this be enough, along with the letter?

Additionally, if I am able to get the letter from my doctor, what all
can I deduct from my taxes?  Is it just the flour and xantham gum and
such that can be deducted?  Or can I claim GF products in general, such
as mayonnaise, protein bars, etc.?

Have any of you done the GF deductions and what was your luck with it?

Thank you so much.  I feel like I'm asking too many questions, but I'm
still trying to get everything GF figured out.

Kelli/Michigan

"I can hear the wind whisper my name...telling me it's
time to head out again...my horse is trailered and the lights are shut
down...and I'm long overdue for headin' out of town...I've got a fever
they call the rodeo...just enough winnin' to make the next
show...sometimes you make 8 sometimes you hit dirt...go on and pin
another number to the back of my shirt..." - Radney Foster