From:
Kelli Wages <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Nov 2001 10:40:04 -0500

I didn't have too many responses on my 5-HTP question, but this is what
I did receive.

Todd, our wonderful resident matchmaker, said that he has tried various
antidepressants and the only cure is exercise and having a partner to
lean on (I agree).  He said St. John's Wort made him feel worse.

Johanne said that she tried 5-HTP and didn't have any side effects.  She
suggested accupuncture.

One said they tried 5-HTP with good results.  But, it is suggested you
have a serontonin blood test to check your levels.

SAM-e was suggested.

B vitamins were suggested.

S.H. gave me the following:  5-HTP is basically the over-the-counter and
less potent version of most antidepressant medications (that act on
serotonin in the brain).  I am not an MD, but I work in psychiatry and
we always warn people against taking it because it can have harmful
effects in some people.  With it, you have to be VERY careful about what
you eat; for example, some B vitamins can affect the absorption of the
drug.  I do not know specifically if it is specifically dangerous for
celiacs, because basically we consider it potentially harmful for
everyone.  I would highly recommend seeing a psychiatrist for
evaluation.  There are quite a few prescription antidepressants that are
safe for celiacs, and can be prescribed in low or high doses, depending
on what you need.  If you don't want to see an MD, St Johns Wort is
usually tolerated pretty well by most people, but there is no consistent
evidence that it actually does improve depressed mood.  And as with
other herbals, if you have allergies to any plants, do some research
before taking it as it may be in a family of plants that you are
allergic to.

Flaxseed oil was suggested (omega 3 fatty acids).

Some said St. John's Wort works well.

I guess the best thing to do is to ask our doctors which is the safest
to take.  However, most doctors don't believe in natural remedies.

Happy Thanksgiving to all,

Kelli/Michigan