Date:
Sun, 23 Apr 2006 20:24:18 EDT

We just got back from 8 days in Bermuda and I wanted to share our GF  info.
Our 3 1/2 year old daughter has CD so I did as much  research/contacting as
possible prior to our departure.  I got in contact  with a woman named Liz
Boden, who runs the Nurse's Practice.  She was  AMAZING!  Even came by our hotel
one day to drop off some GF cookies for  our daughter.  Her contact info is :
[log in to unmask] (mailto:[log in to unmask]) , 1-441-236-8387.  She  has CD
and emailed a Gluten Free Diet Fact Sheet to the hotel where we  stayed.  The
Chefs hung it up in the kitchen, as a reference guide.   Most of the info below,
is directly from Liz.

Lodging:  We stayed at the Wyndham  Resort in Southampton Beach.  I spoke
with Chef Ron upon our  arrival and we went over safe foods and food prep.  He
passed that info on  to the other kitchen chefs/workers.  We never had a problem
with any of our  resort meals.
Per Liz, "The Reefs, which is next door to the Wyndham is  a lovely family
run small hotel and I am sure they would take good care of you  as they will
anywhere you go.  Just don't be afraid to ask lots of  questions."

Restaurants:
The Gibbs Hill Lighthouse Restaurant (which was a short  walk from our hotel)
is owned and run by Heidi Cowen, who is also a  Celiac.  The food was tasty
and fresh and it was the first time I have ever  eaten in a restaurant and had
absolutely no worries regarding our daughter  getting a safe meal.  Heidi has
been GF for 20 years - she's a pro!   She had GF bagels, pizza crusts,
biscuits.  She makes all sauces/dressings  herself.  She can be contacted directly at
1-441-238-8679 or by email at [log in to unmask]
(mailto:[log in to unmask]) .
She serves meals daily from 9:00 - 5:00.  I believe she was going to  start a
dinner service soon, as well.  It's a cute little restaurant and  the
lighthouse grounds provide a stunning view of Bermuda.
Henry VIII, which was next door to the Wyndham, was  excellent and pricey.
But they made a yummy grilled cheese for our  daughter, on the bread we
provided.
Frog and Onion at the Dockyard - made a cheeseburger  with fresh fruit.
House of India: we never got a chance to eat there, but  they have a GF menu.
 Liz said it has "excellent food but very cramped  and in the worst part of
town... not great for visitors who we are trying to  impress with the beauty of
our island!".
The Little Venice Group of Restaurants, per Liz "are all  gluten free
friendly and most restaurants are happy to follow your instructions  - always better
to call in advance though.  These restaurants are all over  the place and
include The Trattoria in Hamilton, Cafe  Lido and Micky's beachside dinning at
Elbow Beach,  The Little Venice and The Harbourfront (not  really suitable for
children)."

Stores: (all info from Liz)
Miles Supermarket in Hamilton has an excellent selection  of gluten free
breads (all in the freezer) mostly from Canada - Glutino, to  check selections go
to _www.glutino.com_ (http://www.glutino.com) .  They also have cookies  and
excellent pasta by Schar.  They have a good porridge by Barratt.
Harrington Hundreds Grocery in Smiths Parish also has a  wide range of GF
products including Pamela's pancake and brownie mixes.   They have Nutty Rice and
Nature's Path cereals.  They have a wide range of  corn pastas.
The Supermarket on Front Street in Hamilton has some  Gluten Free Pantry
mixes and the Nature's Path cereals.
Lindo's Supermarket in Warwick and Smiths Parish has  Nature's Path and some
Red Mills mixes.

We brought a small suitcase filled with GF snack items/treats, bread,
crackers, cereal, etc.  With the kids it was easier to buy milk/juice and  just have
breakfast in our room.  I was concerned about bringing food  through customs
so I contacted Bermuda customs and this is what they told me:  "Most
packaged/prepared foods are allowed, you generally only run into problems  when
importing items such as fresh fruits, vegetables and some  seafood items."  You can
get more info at _www.customs.gov.bm_ (http://www.customs.gov.bm) .

Okay, sorry this is a bit disjointed but we just returned and I am  still on
a 4 hour time difference.  I just knew if I didn't do this summary  today, it
would never get done.

Please feel free to email me with any questions.

Jill
Auburn, CA