From:
Eugene Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 28 Dec 2002 19:36:04 EST

Earlier this week I wrote the following message:
I need information about celiacs who are requested to take an MRI.  Two
issues emerge immediately.   The first concerns the Barium Sulfate that is to
be taken 24 hours before the procedure.   Is it generally gluten free, or
does it depend on the brand used and require a check with the supplier?   The
second concerns the dye that is injected during the exam.   Is it generally
gluten free, or must a check be made with supplier? Last, what has been your
experience with this type of procedure   -  in so far as our celiac issues
are concerned?

I was immediately questioned by prompt knowledgeable list participants.  They
were correct. I had misstated the problem. The procedure turned out to be a
CATScan instead.  I corrected and updated the message this way: The question
arose from my sister.   And I got it wrong.   She is having a CATScan.   Both
of us are celiacs, but the CATScan is not celiac related.   We are just
trying to avoid a reaction from the medication.   We understand that the dye
is injected into the blood stream and will not be a problem.   But they also
require barium sulfate on the morning of the exam to clear the intestinal
system.   It is the barium that we are concerned about. We have now
discovered that they use a product from E-Z-EM in New York. If you have
information about this product we would appreciate it. We did contact a
pharmacist at our health plan.   He was of no help.   He knew nothing of
celiac disease and was unwilling to do anything about verifying the status of
the drug.   We did get the name of the company and are still checking with
them. I will report and summarize when we have all of the information.

This is the final result.  According to E-Z-EM the prescribed Barium Sulfate
product is gluten free. They advised that not all Barium products they market
are gluten free, but some are. The product ID was needed to verify its
content.  It is CAT 727, number NDC 10361-727-01. Based on that information
they did not hesitate to represent it to be gluten free. The phone numbers of
E-Z-EM are 800 544-4624 or 516 333-8230.

According to the experience of some who responded, and medical technicians
who also responded, the dye that is injected is of no concern as it is enters
the blood stream and not the digestive tract. The view of all is that it
cannot impact the intestine and should not create a problem.

I received about 20 responses.  Three referred me to the archives.  I found
the 800 number for E-Z-EM in a June 2002 posting.  I also found several
comments and helpful summaries. From both responses and archive information
it appears that some products are gluten free and others are not.  All
recommended a check with the manufacturer. Three who responded were medical
technicians with CATScan or MRI experience.  Their questions prompted me to
review the issue with my sister and correct the question. They also
recommended checking with the manufacturer. Several persons had taken Barium
Sulfate for CATScan procedures.  Two without checking it out, with bad
consequences.  Others had checked it out ahead of time and took it without
consequence. One person refused to take it because the technicians could not
validate it as gluten free, but went ahead with the CATScan, with reasonable
diagnostic results.  All believed that gluten free products were available
and a manufacturer check was necessary.

Some disagreed with my characterization of the purpose and effect of the
Barium.

I had several comments on the attitude of the pharmacist, all critical.
However, some felt it was the duty of the administering technician to resolve
the issue.  Others felt it was my sister's duty to check it out and to not
trust the professional staff.  We decided it was our responsibility and
contacted the manufacturer rather than attempt to force a response by the
professionals.  It turned out that the prescription given was for a
gluten-free product.  Probably by accident rather than by design.

All in all, the response from participants was timely, on the issue, and very
helpful.  My sister and I appreciate your help.

Gene Hill
Davis, CA