Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 18:20:29 -0500

I started the gf diet in mid-September after having only one of the
antibodies come back positive, and a negative biopsy.  My GI wasn't certain
that I had celiac disease, but it was worth a try to be on the diet for 2
months.  My symptoms improved a bit - the bloating and diarrhea disappeared,
although I still have some difficulty with frequent, large bowel movements,
and nausea.   The only 2 tests that were redone after the trial diet was for
B12 (which had been very low for over 5 years, with no explanation as to
why), and Vitamin A (which was only spotted as low this past year).

My B12 level went from 220 to 360, but my Vitamin A (beta carotene) levels
remains at 10, which the GI wrote is low.  The only thing I had done
differently since those two vitamin levels were checked was to be on the gf
diet.  I wasn't taking any multi-vitamins.   So, it's good news that the B12
is back up again, but why is the carotene level still low?   Especially since
the GI had me do what he called a "carotene challenge" both times - drinking
something rich in Vitamin A the night before the test.  Has this ever
happened to anyone else?  I'm afraid to go back to the dietitian because of
the unfavorable experience I had there when first starting the gf diet.  I've
gotten some books from the library, and will research what foods are
naturally high in Vitamin A.   I'm wondering if this low beta carotene has
anything to do with my being gluten intolerant and it just takes longer to
start absorbing it correctly?

I might also add that I was diagnosed with Sjogren's Syndrome in January,
1996, and hypoglycemia in December, 1996.

Thanks,

Deb
Blacksburg, VA  USA