Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 1997 08:59:09 -0500

A couple of weeks ago, I ordered some food from Applebee's Restaurant for a
carry-out order.  I called the manager and asked about the gf status of their
steaks, and he was most cooperative and kind!  He switched me over to the
chef who told me that their steaks are not marinated - they just use
seasonings when broiling.  (Their cajun steak might be a different story,
though, but I didn't look into that).  He read the ingredients of the spices
that they use and they appeared to be gf.  The meal also included small red
potatoes, and a veggie mix of squash, carrots, and snap peas.  All were
reported to be gf.

So, I took a chance and ordered the meal.  It was one of the best meals that
I'd ever had!  I didn't have any sort of gluten reaction, to my relief,
although I can't guarantee contamination in their kitchen.  (I don't think
I'm as sensitive to that)  Two weeks later, I again ordered the same meal,
and once again did not have any reaction.

Does anyone know what other types of foods that Applebee's serves that is gf?
 I was going to call the restaurant and ask for their corporate office phone
number and/or address, if it's available.  I wonder if all the restaurants
are consistent with the type of foods they prepare or if it's individual to
each location?

Thanks!

Deb
Blacksburg, VA