From:
Karen Valderrama <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen Valderrama <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Apr 2004 17:28:26 -0700

Thank you, everyone, for your comments, all have been helpful.  I particularly needed others to say yes it is hard, and that they too struggle with occasional missteps even after years being gluten free.  I had expected to eventually grow to never making a mistake, or ever taking a chance, and maybe that was unrealistic.  In the future I hope to be more successful in being compliant without exception and it will get easier to do so.

-- One woman's suggestion -- she estimates the most likely food being served at a party or church supper and brings her gluten free rendition to the kitchen where it would be served on a plate like everyone else's.
-- Several suggested having treats on hand to enjoy, which I hadn't been doing.
-- A couple suggested thinking of gluten as poison, one surprised herself by starting to feel indifferent towards pizza and other forbidden foods.
-- Prepare ahead and freeze items that feeze well so don't need to feel deprived.
-- A couple said sharing their gluten free cooking and baking was appreciated and helped.
-- And finally one person wrote they were on tpn because of end stage celiac disease, not knowing what he meant I looked it up on the internet, - it was a good piece of info.