From:
Lora Steiner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lora Steiner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jan 2008 20:32:04 -0500

I sent out two summaries last week regarding gf cereals for kids. One person
who emailed me noted that the Puffins peanut butter cereal has oat flour in
it, and was surprised that any celiac could tolerate it.

I am grateful to the person who sent me the following information, clearing
up some of my confusion about why some of us can handle more contamination
than others:

"I am the person who wrote about cross contamination in the summary re
Sahale products recently.  If a person is a really reactive person, they can
react without it affecting their celiac blood tests.  I do.  My doctor
considers me as one who has both celiac disease and the broader gluten
intolerance that affects all the organs of the body.  I was undxed for over
4 decades and have alot of secondary problems as a result of celiac disease
(or gluten intolerance), including liver disease, adrenal insufficiency, and
brain ataxia, among others.  I was unable to heal (my gut and other
symptoms) without extending gf to health care and hygiene products, a
totally gf home, and even some further avoidance outside my home of air
borne glutens and cross contamination, etc.

If your child does not complain of symptoms and is not showing problems on
blood tests, it is possible the contamination from cereals and such is not
affecting him/her.  However, if the child is showing symptoms, even non
celiac symptoms, then this may not be the case.  There is alot not known yet
about celiac disease and the more complicated gluten intolerance which leads
to other organ involvement.  (When I used the phrase "your child" it was in
a theoretical sense, not that I was talking about your child.  I just wanted
you to know why you get conflicting info from people.)  In the case of
cereal, be particularly aware of the child's reaction to the last bowl or
two of cereal.  I can often eat a few bowls of cereal from a bag or box,
only to find I react to the last couple bowls, where all the crumbs are."