From:
Lora Steiner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lora Steiner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2008 08:03:24 -0500

Here are some additional comments and clarifications I received. I'm not
going to send any more summaries to the lists, but if you think of other
cereals, feel free to send them to me. Again, thanks to all who replied!

~Lora

My son really likes Puffins, by Barbara's Bakery. He says the peanut butter
ones keep him full longer. (If peanuts aren't an issue!) Easily transportable!

My kids love New Morning Cocoa Crispy Rice (it is the same company as
Erewhorn). Their website is:  www.usmillsinc.com The only store I've found
it in is Better Health.  Whole Foods doesn't seem to carry.

FYI.. check the Puffins Honey Rice (used to be my favorite) but in so.
Calif.  it now lists only Wheat-Free on the box.  Whaaaah.

While I never thought I'd buy this kind of cereal for any child of mine
(proudly stated BEFORE having any children to worry about!), I buy
Malt-o-meal's Dyno Bites. Their multicolored cereal (not the chocolate
variety anymore) is GF.  And it has the normal kind of vitamins and minerals
added that most commercial cereals--but sadly not the health-store
varieties--have. Post also has Chocolate Pebbles that fits the same bill.
Not much else out there in the regular grocery that is okay for our CD kids....

Re: Malt-o-meal Dyno Bites: Only the Fruity ones!  The chocolate ones have
wheat ingredients... My son found a house brand of cocoa puffs at
Woodmans--a large discount grocery store that are also g.f.

A very useful summary.   I would beware of the Post Fruity Pebbles and Cocoa
Pebbles because of cross-contamination.  Most of Post's cereal products are
wheat and/or oats based and I can't believe that they have a dedicated GF
facility - unless the boxes are labeled gluten free, I would avoid.  (Lora
says: One woman told me she gives her kids these cereals and also checks
their blood every six months just to make sure -- and it's always fine. So I
guess--as with all things gf--make as informed a decision as you're able and
enjoy what you can!)

*******
*******