From:
Vicki Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vicki Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jun 2011 12:40:10 -0700

Dear Listmates -
I omitted something from my previous email. Not only does Natrol Digest Support contain amylase grown on wheat, but Enzymatic Therapy CompleteGest contains maltase derived from barley malt.

They told me the bottle has to say no gluten.
I thought the law was that if it contains anything derived from wheat, barley or rye (or spelt, a form of wheat) that it has to state that it contains the allergen.

The Digest Support (Natrol) does say after the word Amylase, in parentheses, contains wheat (which got by me somehow), but the Enzymatic Therapy CompleteGest does not specify any gluten after the word Maltase anywhere on the bottle.

Apparently I had the labeling law wrong.
I called Doctor's Best and found out their Best Digestive Enzymes is gluten-free. I will have to check into some other products.

So I was unknowingly taking two enzyme products that have trace amounts of gluten - the Natrol Digest Support that has amylase grown on wheat, AND the Enzymatic Therapy CompleteGest that has maltase
from barley malt.

I had no idea we could run into this with enzyme capsules. I took other brands that were gluten-free for years with no problem. I changed brands to economize, since what I was taking was pricey.

Vicki in Illinois

Vicki in Illinois

*******
*******