From:
"Joe S. Warren" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 May 1995 11:15:36 PDT

David Scheim wrote, in part:

<snip>
>Since trace gluten pops up everywhere -- even in the lime additive to corn
>chips (I can't overstate my disgust with both food manufacturers and the FDA
>for allowing such sneaky additions to occur)
<snip>

I have done considerable research into tortillas and would like to point out
that lime is not an additive; it is an ingredient used during the parching of
the whole kernel corn prior to grinding it to make the masa for the corn
tortillas.  The common sources of gluten come from:
1)  cross-contamination during the tortilla preparation because the same
equipment is used to prepare "flour tortillas"; and
2)  during cooking, wheat flour is often used to keep the corn tortillas from
sticking to the conveyor belt (thus the flour is not an ingredient but an
item used in preparation and packaging).
The contamination in corn chips will depend on the source of the tortillas
and any additional contamination introduced when the tortilla chips are fried
and packaged.  *Be aware*, some resturants are cutting up and deep frying
flour tortillas and calling them "tortilla chips".  I think I have seen this
also in the super market but I don't remember a brand.  Check the ingredients
every time.
The best source for tortillas is a tortillarilla that makes and sells only
corn tortillas--when they are fresh and still warm, they are wonderful:-)

Joe S. Warren
Titusville, FL 32796-3902