From:
"Joe S. Warren" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 1995 14:44:53 -0400

John,

I am assuming that your statement that there were "...no ill-effects,..." to
the beer means that you did not experience any overt symptoms.  This is a
very dangerous assumption:
1)  you may have experienced symptoms you did not assign to gluten but
rather to the trip such as fatigue.
2)  you may have had symptoms that are sub-clinical and not been conscious
of them.
3)  a study was published a year or so ago (sorry, I can't quote the exact
study) that indicated celiac patients that were un-treated or ill-treated
wrt a GF diet experienced 50 times the risk for GI cancers when compared to
the non-celiac population.  Patients on a STRICT GF diet for 5 years
experienced the same risk as non-celiacs.

Using the lack of overt symptoms to determine the safety of a food could be
hazardous to your health :>(

Joe S. Warren
Titusville, FL          Getting ready for hurricane Erin