Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 20:50:34 -0500

hi there all.  FYI, The Washington Post Food section today (Feb.7, 2001)
had a very interesting article about canola oil.  It seems the celiac
community is not the only place rife with rumors about this stuff; non
celiacs are dissing it also.  The author gives an interesting history
and dismisses the rumors in a humorous way as the stuff of "urban
legends".  The conclusion I reached is that it seems people, both
celiacs and non-celiacs, may have an intolerance to canola oil, probably
due to the acid mentioned by the author.  This may be how the rumors
began that it contained gluten. (If you choose to abstain from canola
oil, please don't e-mail me trying to convince me to do likewise. I just
posted this for people who might be interested in reading the article.
I'm pretty sure you should be able to find it at
www.washingtonpost.com).  Take care, Lynn