From:
Weiss / Carvill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 19:29:59 -0500

This is a summary from a question I asked in early January.  I've cut
and pasted various responses.  Anna loved the west.  She ate better when
Dad arrived with a rental car and supervised.  She was disappointed with
her race results.  Perhaps not enough time to adjust to the altitude?
Thanks everyone for the advice, Ellie

There is a celiac support group in Boseman

I always have to pack my own 'snacks', and it's difficult to find ones that
pack well AND have enough protein in them to keep you satisfied. I've had
good results with the following:

1. Peanut butter apples (ok, not everyone has heard of them, but they are
addicting).

2. Revival Soy bars. These taste like rice crispy bars, but are made from
puffed soy and appear to be gluten free (the malt, the makers say, is
sorghum malt, and I don't react to them). They are at www.revivalsoy.com

Just received your message.  Have your daughter go to Montana Harvest,
downtown on Willson Street, first block on the west side of the street;
Community Co-op, 908 West Main, 587-4039l;Oak Street Natural Market, Oak
Street and North 19th--going out of town quite a few blocks; Town & County
Grocers, 219 North 19th.  All of these stores carry Food for Life GF Bread,
Ener-G Foods GF bread, macaroni, rice, spaghetti, Pamela's cookies, Imagine
Tomato & Chicken Broth Soups, Deep Sea Tuna, Amy's Enchiladas, etc.  At
regular grocery stores she can get Cheddar Cheese, Haagen-Dazs Frozen
Yogurt, Campbell's Chicken with Rice Soup, Best Foods Mayo for sandwich
mixes such as Tuna and egg salad, Oscar Mayer meats, including their Weiners
(not Hot Dogs) and Baloney, Bacon, etc.

And if she has a kitchen where she can cook, Hutterite Chickens are
available in several stores.  All stores have lots of fruits and veggies,
both fresh and canned, and fresh meats, even free-range eggs.  The people in
these stores are usually very helpful and understand how important it is to
be GF.

For restaurants, the better ones downtown are very eager to help and provide
special GF dishes wherever we ask:  Boodles, Louis' Down Under, The Baxter
Hotel.  The best is the Bay out in the Mall, with terrific salads, including
Mexican style (don't eat the chips). Soby's in the Bozeman Hotel is a
gathering place for the University, and they have several dishes they make
for us.  Tell her to just mention Jean Powell, Tamala and Rio, and Sally
will help her choose some great Mexican dishes.

Then the usual Fast Food places:McDonald's with hamburger patties, no bun
(no French Fries there either) and their Garden Salad;  Taco Johns, hard
shell tacos with beans, no meat, all of their veggies; Taco Bell, Nacho
Supreme, cheese, rice, etc.; Wendy's Chili and French Fries, Salad.

Hope this helps. Your daughter can call me:  Jean Powell, 586-1285.  We want
to help her eat well so she doesn't starve again!  Best of luck, Jean

We do a lot of Mac and cheese also.  Some people think we are nuts, but we
buy the Kraft mac and cheese boxes, take out the cheese packet and wipe it
off, and then throw away the rest of it.  We do cheese sauce from scratch
also, but Katy likes the taste of the Kraft mac and cheese better.

Those little individually-wrapped string cheeses are a lifesaver, too.
Somehow, cheese seems to be the most filling of any snack you can eat cold.
Cold fried chicken (fried in jowar flour and then crushed gf cereal) is not
too bad a snack either.  In the winter, it will keep forever because the
cooler never gets warm.