From:
Weiss / Carvill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 12:37:38 -0500

I asked for advice on which breads were most successful using my Christmas
bread machine.  Here is some of the advice I was given ...  My thanks to
everyone!

Ellie

To get a brown bread my suggestion it to use your favorite mix and then add
about 1/4 cup of freshly ground flax seed to your dry ingredients after
sifting them.

I grind flax seed in my blender.  It is fine enough for the bread but won't
go through a sieve.  Adds flavor and nutritional value too.

Better Hagman has a mock oatmeal bread, made with almonds, that is like
a brown bread, sort of. It is in her More from the Gluten Free Gourmet
cook book.

Recently attended a bread baking demo by Bette Hagman.  She said everything
we ever knew about baking "real" bread - forget it!  GF bread 'dough' should
be the consistency of cake batter.  Once I got that out of my head I've been
enjoying baking the bread.  Plus, where you live, the moisture in the air,
whether you've stored the flour in the freezer or cupboard, all those things
will affect the bread.  She generally takes the eggs and flour out of the
fridge/freezer and lets them sit for at least one hour at room temp before
baking.  (I personally don't think that far ahead, I may think it, I just
don't act on it.)

The "Brownest mix" is the mock rye bread mix from Gluten Free Pantry.  It is
great, and we make it in the Zojirushi all the time.

Preheat 10 min, knead 15 min, rise 35 minutes and bake the maximum it
allows.

Hi - The best brown bread mix I have tried is Authentic Foods Cinnamon Bread
mix - excellent texture. I also have a couple recipes I make from scratch
but they work better if I take the dough out of the bread machine after it
has mixed and bake in a very long 5x13 pan (so bread doesn't collapse in the
middle and slices easier) or I also use 12 empty tuna cans sitting on a
jelly roll pan and make little buns.

For darker bread -  BROWN RICE FLOUR BUT IT IS HARDER TO DIGEST
 BETTE HAGMANS BREAD BOOK HAS A RECIPE

>That i like to make hamburger buns from and i bake them in my oven and
>Everyone loves them on page 76 and i sub rice milk for the liquid i use
>Hamburger rings but crushed pineapple tins work great too. Even non celiac
>Friends love these. My five yr old grand-daughter  loves them. I gave away
>MY BREAD MACHINE .

From [log in to unmask] We market a Classic Dark Bread. It is good
plain or with the addition of caraway seeds. I use the Quick Bake
setting on my Zorjirushi. As to kneading the bread - the only reason for
kneading is to develop the gluten in the flour. Since there is no gluten
to develop, breads can be treated almost like a cake mix. I recommend
mixing our breads for 3 minutes and then letting them rise for about 50
minutes. The only bread I put in the bread machine is the Classic Dark
Bread Mix. It seems to survive the over mixing that happens with most
bread machines.

The gluten in wheat flour makes bread pretty predictable & very forgiving.
Without it, little things like the starting temperature of the ingredients &
slight variations in measurement make a bit difference in the timing &
results.  When Ener-G foods first started making bread mixes years ago, each
batch of mixes came with slightly different instructions.

The local bakery that makes our g.f. bread needs to experiment & adjust the
basic recipe with each new palette of rice flour since variations in the
humidity of the rice are enough to throw the recipes off.  He said he can
tell if wheat bread will turn out before it goes in the oven, but with g.f.
bread, he can't tell after it's baked.

Might want to check out the recipes at www.redstaryeast.com  They develop
bread recipes for lots of companies that make bread machines