From:
Amy LaBeau <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Amy LaBeau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2008 07:38:32 -0800

I was diagnosed just about a year ago. I would like to schedule an appt. to re-do the blood work to make sure the levels are declining. I'm 99.99% sure they will come back lower. When I called to make an appt. with my GI the receptionist couldn't understand why I wanted to come back in since I was dx'ed. Apparently, they don't do annual follow ups on celiacs. SO I have two questions:

  1) Should I get the blood work re-done? How important is this? I'm very strict with my diet as I am currently pregnant and paranoid of being glutened so I make all of my food at home (which is a GF household) and use all GF body care products.

  More importantly:

  2) We are going to be trying to get our own health insurance policy in the next few months. Our rep. checked with the underwriter who came back and said that the company will insure me as long as I'm compliant with the GF diet and do not have any related autoimmune problems (I am and I don't). Would having the new blood test on my record be a handicap or a positive? The only way I can see it being a problem is if the levels are not down to below whatever marker they use making them say I'm not in compliance with the diet. However, on my last test the levels were "out of the ballpark" as my GI said a year ago so basing my insurability off of that - I am not compliant with the diet. So, repeating the blood tests sound like a double edge sword.

  Does any one have experience specifically with the health insurance part of my question? While it would be nice to see the numbers going down, it's not necessary for me to feel like the GF diet is successful - I can see the results every day.

  Thank you!
Amy