From:
Amy LaBeau <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Amy LaBeau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 2008 09:47:37 -0700

Good morning,

I am currently 37.5 weeks pregnant and have tested positive for Group B Strep (GBS). My OB/GYN is telling me I will have to have penicillin administered through an I.V. when I go into labor in an effort to prevent giving GBS to the baby. While I find I.V.'s incredibly painful everytime I've had to have one (think multiple tries and the IV spontaniously popping out) I know that this is important and will take the antibiotics (I was planning a natural birth with no I.V./pain medication).

  My question is: what is the likelyhood of the penicillin containing gluten? Have other celiac mommy's had experience with this? Should I be concerned with gluten since it's an I.V. and not technically being absorbed by the small intestine? Are there any drugs they routinely use in labor and delivery that I should be concerned about?

  Any advice in general on my hospital stay is greatly appreciated as well. This is my first baby and I'm starting to get really stressed about the hospital stay. As with many, my horrible past experiences with the medical field have left me very weary of what they tell me vs. what is an honest assesment. I actually work for the hospital I'll be delivering at (I know - irony huh?) and have already been in contact with food & nutrition services concerning the availability of GF meals so that is not an issue at this point. My biggest fears are the drugs they will be giving me (or trying to give me).

  Thank you!
Amy