From:
Solveig Burkhardt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 1996 20:24:22 +0000

Hello, I'm since one week in the internet-jungle. I'm trying to do
everything right, but I'm only human...please be so kind to inform me,
if I make mistakes. Tank you.

Today I read Irma R DeBryn's comment concerning rice, and I'm astonished
about insecureness concerning food in the States.

In Germany exits the German Celiac Association where I am member
since I know I have CD (Monthly costs only about $ 5  supposingly they
live on gifts of big brand names published in the booklet).

They publish once a year a booklet with Allowed and not allowed food
with brand names and their products and Allowed and not allowed
medicine. Does such a list not exist in the States? I can't imagine!
In our list, e.g. for rice, are determined two or three brand names with
the specified name of the product, that I can eat. It makes no sense, to
publish them here, because the producers may sell the same product under
the same name in another country with another recipe.

One thing about rice is for shure: the one you get in chinese
restaurants is poison for us.

This book certainly is not complete, because not every food-factory is
interested to give information about using gluten or not. In Germany
affected people is only one from 800-1000.

So, when I started my diet about one year ago, I tried to help myself
writing directly to the firms, asking about any product wich I was used
to consume, even when it seemed ridiculous (for them, but not for me,
because for me it meant living a lot better): from Tooth-paste over
cosmetics I use, to food. I wrote about 80 letters  and received about
75 answers - negative answer or positive - it's the same - I knew where
I was.  (If somebody is interested in the text I use, please contact me, I'll
translate it in english).

The result is, that 6 month later my blood is nearly 100% ok.

Unfortunately my symptoms improved, but not as it should be. So, in the
next days, I will consult another medical, one, who is specified on
natural methods, to find out, where I'm else allergic too.

I hope 1. this article was not too long, 2. I encouraged some persons to
get in contact with food-producers for products they would like to eat -
as you have seen, most of them are very cooperative.

Solveig