From:
Jim Barron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 1996 23:28:40 -0500

I was wrong in my preious post  when I stated that I thought I had had a
reaction from a coupounded drug.     Because when the pharmacy refilled my
alternative prescription they sent tablets instead of compounded drug, I
was forced to go back to the doxycycline over the weekend.    NO REACTION!
So I kept taking if for the next two weeks.   STILL no reaction.      It
now looks like what I had/have was/is Lyme Disease NOT rocky mountain
spotted fever.    (NCMH has recently been on such a witch-hunt about MD's
supposedly overdiagnosis* Lyme that the doctors there refuse to even
consider it, even when confronted point blank,   claiming "it doesn't occur
here" (according to the Center for Disease Controll it DOES).     Lyme,
being the nasty little spirochete that it is, had a "die off" reaction
(Jarish-Herxheimer) when you start the antibiotics.    Evidently it was
part of that reaction that led me to think I was reacting to the
doxycycline.    Sorry about the mistake.   Usually when I suspect something
I go back and retest it late on at least 3 seperate occassions before
declairing it "guilty".   Needless to say, you don't do this when the
something is an essential antibiotic.

This, of course, does NOT mean that compounded ("pure") drugs can't contain
antigenic protein fractions from feedstocks used in bacterial fermentation
processes.   It just means that that did not happen to me.   I'm still
going to check it out, but was delayed by the necessity of 1) rapidly
learning about tick born diseases 2) locating a physician who had NOT been
cowed by the witch-hunt to the point where she was afraid to consider Lyme.

Sorry about the mistake

 Jim Barron
Chapel Hill NC

"The laws of nature, I trust.   Human beings need supervision."    And,
whatever they may think, that includes doctors.   If you get sick after
being bitten by a tick, find a physician willing to seriously consider Lyme
disease  AND Ehrlichiosis  AND Babesiosis.    (If he/she doesn't know what
they are, go elsewhere)